Thin slices of zucchini sub for lasagna noodles in this low-carb Italian classic. This way we get to enjoy that yummy cheesy goodness and even have room for a little garlic bread! Feel free to serve some real pasta on the side for the kids.
- Cooking spray
- 2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (such as Colavita), divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced, lengthwise, into ⅛-inch thick “lasagna” style noodles
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, onions, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add remaining half tablespoon oil and mushrooms and cook, until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered until it thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in basil and salt. Let cool.
- Put a third of zucchini noodles on the bottom of the prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half sauce and half ricotta. Repeat layers.
- Top with last third zucchini. Sprinkle black pepper, parmesan, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 375°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.