Rishe’s Chunky Chicken-Barley Soup
- 2 lb. chicken (you can use white or dark chicken, on the bone or off)
- 2 large Spanish onions, diced
- 1 huge (or 2–3 small) zucchini, peeled and diced
- 5 huge (or 10 small) carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch celery, leaves removed, stalks diced
- ½ lb. barley
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- This recipe is for a 12-qt. pot, but you can easily halve it if you want to make a smaller amount. (It also freezes well.)
- Place the chicken, onion, zucchini, carrots, celery, salt and pepper in the pot. Fill with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for two hours.
- Add the barley and cook for another 45–60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, debone, dice and return to the soup.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. Also freezes well. Enjoy!