This great, fresh dish, is very easy to make. I'm relatively new to fennel, but this recipe definitely highlights the wonderful, licorice-y flavor and complements it well with the citrus. This would be a great choice to accompany a fish or chicken dish.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the spinach, orange sections, sliced fennel, fennel fronds, almonds, and mint into a large mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to dress. Serve immediately.