There are times when only the classic will do... like this familiar and nourishing bowl of chicken soup!
- 1 (about 3 pounds) whole or cut-up chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 rib celery
- fresh dill and parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts water
- Place chicken in large pot with water. Add onion, carrot and celery cut in small pieces, or whole – if you want to remove vegetables from the cooked soup.
- Tie a few sprigs of dill and parsley together with white thread or string and add to pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer two hours.
- Remove chicken (may be used for chicken salad), parsley, and dill.
Note: If you make the soup in advance, you can refrigerate it and then skim off any fat from the top. Tip: Serve hot with matzah balls, or egg noodles.