A quick and nutritious meal and in a neat little package! Sweet potatoes are a stand-out vitamin-packed powerhouse and stuffed with spiced chicken and veggies, they become a multi-textured dinner, lunch, or with mini potatoes, a gorgeous appetizer.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers (jarred peppers work well), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- ½ cup tahini
- tahini, sliced scallions
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sweet potatoes on prepared sheet and roast at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife can easily pierce the potatoes.
- While potatoes are roasting, caramelize onion in a large sauté pan lightly coated with evoo over medium-high heat, about 7 to 10 minutes, until dark and very soft.
- Add red pepper, garlic, and chicken and continue cooking until chicken is light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, broth, and chickpeas. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out potato flesh, leaving about a quarter-inch of flesh to support filling without breaking.
- Add scooped potato to chicken mixture and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and stir into hot chicken mixture. Divide filling between potato halves. Sprinkle olives on top and drizzle with tahini.
- Before serving, reheat potatoes until filling is bubbly. Garnish with more tahini and sliced scallions.
To save time, bake sweet potatoes 1 to 2 days ahead and store them wrapped in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, sauté chicken and veggies, stuff potatoes, and warm in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.