Everything in this salad is fresh, except the bread! Prepare this salad by using a loaf of artisan bread or rosemary bread that is a touch stale. If your bread is too fresh, toast it until it is about half as dried and crunchy as a crouton.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Rub a peeled clove of garlic around a wooden salad bowl.
- Pull apart or chop the bread into bite-size pieces.
- In the prepared salad bowl, combine the bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, garlic, basil and thyme. Add enough olive oil and vinegar to lightly coat, toss and serve.