This is my family’s favorite potato salad recipe. As the saying goes, I like potato salad, but it doesn’t like me! I’m trying to cut down on carbs, but I didn’t want to give this up. One fine day when I noticed cauliflower in my freezer, I thought, why not use it to replace the potatoes in this salad? It worked like a charm. It’s flavorful, low fat, and low carb too. Taste isn’t compromised at all.
- • frozen cauliflower - 1 1/2 lbs, defrosted but not too soft
- • sour pickles - 4, cubed
- • carrot - 1, grated
- • pickle juice - 1/4 cup
- • mustard - 1 1/2 tsp, or to taste
- • salt - 1 tsp, or to taste
- • garlic powder - 1 tsp
- • pepper - 1/4 tsp
- • low-fat mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- • chives or scallions - chopped, optional
- Place cauliflower, pickles, and carrot in a large bowl. Whisk together pickle juice, mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and mayo in a small bowl. Add to vegetables and toss to coat. Add chopped chives or scallions, if desired, as a garnish or mixed in with the salad. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Note: The original recipe called for 9 potatoes cooked, peeled and cubed, and 2/3 cup or more regular mayonnaise. Tip: Cauliflower is a very bland vegetable, so you might want to up the seasoning.