Eggplant And Tomato Salad
This classic, but simple, Israeli salad takes just a few minutes to make, and can be served warm or cold. Make ahead and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium eggplants, diced, salted and allowed to sit for 30 minutes before rinsing and drying
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large saute pan, coated generously with evoo, over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add peppers, grape tomatoes, garlic and cumin and continue sauteeing for 3 to 5 minutes, until garlic has softened.
- Add tomato paste and water. Stir to combine. Decrease heat to simmer and cook until eggplant is very soft and salad is thick and chunky.
- Turn off heat, add lemon juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.