Cranberry Pecan Mandel Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ cup oil
- 4 oz. dried cranberries
- 4 oz. chopped pecans
- 10 oz. jam
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
- Egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place parchment paper on full sheet pans.
- Mix together eggs and sugar. Add almond extract, oil and baking powder. Dough should be smooth and easy to handle. Add more flour if required, and knead like bread.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Shape each into a log. Place wax paper on counter and flour well. Roll out dough on wax paper until it is 1/8″ thick. Log should be 3″ wide unrolled and 1″ wide when rolled. Make sure there is ample flour on the wax paper so the dough does not stick.
- Place ⅓ of the jelly down the middle, and place pecans and cranberries on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired. Roll the dough over so it makes a “jelly roll” log. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet.
- Wash the top with egg mixture, and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar. Repeat with remaining two pieces of dough. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into 1″-wide pieces. Will typically get 14 pieces per log and 3 logs