Chicken With Honey Roasted Cipollini Onions
The unique flavor and aroma of roasted cipollini onions add luscious sweetness to this chicken dish. Serve this alongside these fragrant Saffron Apple.
- 6 (8-ounce) Grow & Behold boneless chicken breast halves, skin on, wings intact
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 whole cipollini onions, peeled, or pearl onions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, or prepared soup base
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove wing tip and first wing joint from chicken breasts, reserve for soup.
- In a small bowl, mix honey, vegan butter, lemon zest, and a little salt and pepper.
- Push your finger under skin of each chicken breast to lightly separate skin from flesh. Push about 2 teaspoons of honey vegan butter mixture under skin of chicken.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and reserve.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat evoo over medium heat. Add onions and allow to brown slightly on one side, cooking for about 7 minutes. Turn onions and brown the other side, for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- With pan still on heat, add chicken to pan, skin side up. Pour in wine and broth, add thyme sprigs.
- Place pan, uncovered, onto top rack of the oven. Roast at 400°F for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer and the skin is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and carefully move chicken to a platter.
- Discard thyme sprigs and place skillet back onto stove over medium-high heat. Reduce pan juice by half, or to about a half cup. Serve with chicken.