Fragrant, hard spices and green olives are a savory combination. Blanching olives softens the flavor and takes out some of the brininess, but leaves the fruitiness. Garnish this almost one-pot meal with cilantro leaves and sliced lemons.
- 3 - 4 pounds chicken leg-thigh combination pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Garnish: cilantro leaves, sliced lemons
- In large deep skillet over medium-high heat, warm evoo.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with one-half teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet, skin-side down, and cook, turning, until well browned, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and remove chicken to a plate.
- To same skillet, add onion pieces, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, bay leaf cumin, paprika, and cayenne.
- Cook together, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining teaspoon of salt and stir well. Add chicken stock; raise heat to medium-high and return chicken to pan, skin-side up. Continue cooking at low simmer.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare olives by covering them with water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat; drain water and repeat.
- Add drained olives to chicken cooking on stove. Continue cooking until chicken is done, about 15 minutes total from the time it is returned to the pan.
- Add lemon juice and stir well. Add cilantro and stir. Serve immediately.